SIS40215 – Certificate IV in Fitness
Do you want to become a personal trainer?
SIS40215 Certificate IV in Fitness provides the skills and knowledge for an individual to be competent in a range of activities and functions within the fitness industry, including working independently in a broad range of settings, such as within fitness centres, gyms, pools, community facilities and in open spaces. This course is your pathway to becoming a personal trainer!
Our Certificate IV in Fitness program has been customised with an exciting collaboration between SSFCC and Surf Life Saving NSW, to deliver the Aqua Trainer Specialisation.
SIS40215 Certificate IV in Fitness is appropriate for those students interested in training individual clients, on a one-on-one basis, and may include older clients, children and special population clients.
Students graduating with this level of competency will have the ability to plan, design and deliver exercise programs for individuals and small groups, conduct and evaluate exercise training, provide leadership and guidance to clients and other staff and possibly deal with unpredictable situations.
Exercise Trainers will have the ability to monitor and manage business activities to operate efficiently and profitably.
Job roles for those holding this qualification may include:
- Personal Trainer
- Aqua Trainer
- Older Client Trainer
- Program Coordinator
Other job outcomes for this qualification might be roles such as Sports Trainer or Pool Lifeguard.
Qualification Structure and Course Content
- A strong theoretical framework to underpin practical skills,
- Access to SSFCC’s Fitness Instruction Training Room (a ‘simulated’ industry environment)
- Access to clients, taken from within the wider learning environment for the development of practical skills,
- Assessment in a ‘simulated’ industry context, and
- Appropriate and relevant aquatic environments to facilitate Aqua Trainer specialisation.
To achieve the Certificate IV in Fitness, 21 units of competence must be completed:
- 13 core units
- 8 elective units
- MODULE A: Exercise Science: Programming Fundamentals
- MODULE B: Fitness Entrepreneurship: Sales & Marketing
- MODULE C: Body Composition and Nutrition: Younger Clients
- MODULE D: Personal Trainer Professional Skills: Strength and Conditioning
Delivery and assessment will be conducted in the SELC F.I.T Room, theory room and computer labs, and in the case of Module C, appropriate aquatic environments selected by Surf Life Saving NSW.
|Subject||Unit of Competency|
|Exercise Science||SISFFIT019||Incorporate exercise science principles into fitness programming|
|SISFFIT018||Promote functional movement capacity|
|Programming fundamentals||SISFFIT021||Instruct personal training programs|
|SISFFIT023||Instruct group personal training programs|
|SISFFIT017||Instruct long-term exercise programs|
|Subject||Unit of Competency|
|Aqua Trainer||SISFFIT022||Instruct aquatic sessions for specific population groups|
|Younger clients||SISFFIT||Instruct exercise to young people aged 13 to 17 years|
|Client motivation||SISFFIT016||Provide motivation to positively influence exercise behaviour|
|Fitness business basics||BSBSMB401||Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business|
|BSBSMB404||Undertake small business planning|
|Subject||Unit of Competency|
|Body Composition and Nutrition||SISFFIT020||Instruct exercise programs for body composition goals|
|SISFFIT025||Recognise the dangers of providing nutrition advice to clients|
|SISFFIT026||Support healthy eating through the Eat for Health Program|
|Sales and Marketing||BSBSLS408||Present, secure and support sales solutions|
|BSBSMB403||Market the small business|
|Subject||Unit of Competency|
|Personal Trainer Professional Skills||SISFFIT015||Collaborate with medical and allied health professionals in a fitness context|
|SISFFIT016||Provide motivation to positively influence exercise behaviour|
|SISXRES001||Conduct sustainable work practices in open spaces|
|Strength and Conditioning||SISSSTC402A||Develop strength and conditioning programs|
|SISSSTC301A||Instruct strength and conditioning techniques|
|SISFFIT024||Instruct endurance programs|
Terms and Breaks
SIS40215 Certificate IV in Fitness is delivered 20 hours per week full time over 46 weeks (40 weeks delivery / 6 weeks holiday). The course includes face to face institution-based training using theory based material for underpinning knowledge and practical sessions in the F.I.T Room and appropriate aquatic environments provided by Surf Life Saving NSW. The timetable is as follows:
- 16 hours per week Theory and Practice
- 4 hours per week Integrated E-learning
The assessment tasks have been designed to test, in a practical and realistic manner, the skills and knowledge in the key areas that make a fully competent Exercise Trainer. Every unit of competency has an average of two-three assessment tasks, ranging from practical tasks, such as demonstrations or simulations and role plays, to written tasks, such as reports, question and answers or case studies, and in some cases project work involving real fitness clients.
The following resources will be distributed by SSFCC at orientation, and are included in your resource fee.
- 2 x SELC Sport and Fitness Career College Polo Shirts – White (purchased from SSFCC and included in resource fees)
- Textbook & additional learning resources
To be provided by student (at student’s own expense).
- Gym shoes
- Male students:
- Black tracksuit pants/shorts (as seasonally appropriate)
- Black swim shorts/swim trunks (male)
- Female students:
- Black tracksuit pants/leggings (as seasonally appropriate)
- Black swimming costume (One-piece/sport style)
The uniform elements provided by the student will be approved on day one of the course, by the course trainer.
Students are only allowed to enter the F.I.T room in the SELC fitness uniform with suitable gym training shoes, according to the F.I.T Room Code of Conduct.
Students will have an induction to the F.I.T Room during orientation day.
Reasons to Choose Certificate IV in Fitness
Some key points that distinguish SSFCC’s Certificate IV in Fitness are:
- SSFCC Fitness offers students unique in-house fitness training facilities, which simulates a real fitness centre, giving the best start to a career in fitness as students gain practical experience in a safe and encouraging environment!
- SSFCC trainer/assessors are experienced fitness professionals with many years experience working in the fitness industry.
- The Certificate IV in Fitness is delivered/assessed in SSFCC’s Bondi Junction campus and vocational students will have access to great social programs and facilities.
- Students will be encouraged to participate in exercise not only on the scheduled timetabled days on campus, but as part of a fit and healthy lifestyle! This offers a great opportunity to understand the fitness world as a ‘client’ first, and eventually as a qualified Exercise Trainer.
Additional Course Features
The Certificate IV in Fitness qualification is recognised by Fitness Australia, the national association for fitness, as the qualification for those working as an Exercise or Personal Trainer within fitness clubs, gyms, sports centres, community recreation organisations and other venues.
Graduates of Certificate IV in Fitness from SSFCC will be eligible to register with Fitness Australia in the category of an Exercise Trainer.
Fitness Training Facility
- A fully equipped Fitness Instruction Training Room – the “F.I.T” Room
- Dedicated theory rooms
- Computer labs for research and assignment work
- A library resource centre
SSFCC will encourage Certificate IV students to join a Surf Life Saving Club. This is optional and no student will be disadvantaged if they prefer not to join. Joining a surf life saving club provides excellent opportunities to build a social network, and experience a real ‘slice’ of Australian life, something SSFCC is happy to support!
‘A surf lifesaver is a trained volunteer who patrols our beaches on weekends and public holidays’ (Surf Life Saving NSW)
By joining a surf life saving club, you can get healthy, make new friends, and give something truly valuable to the community.
A member of Surf Life Saving NSW will attend SSFCC’s Certificate IV in Fitness orientation to give a talk and students will have the opportunity to ask questions and find out more!
SSFCC has arrangements in place to work with the following industry partner to deliver & assess SIS40215 Certificate IV in Fitness:
- St. John Ambulance. Delivery and assessment for HLTAID003 Provide First Aid.
- Fitness First
- Origem Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- Body by Bec
- Pod Fitness
SIS40215 Certificate IV in Fitness (AQF – 4)
This qualification is recognised nationally under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)
All international students must be at least 18 years of age and provide evidence of the following entry requirements:
- Academic: year 12 or equivalent and above; and
- English language: IELTS 5.5 or equivalent and above
Entry to this qualification is open to those who hold a current first aid qualification and current CPR certificate and who have achieved the following units of competency:
- SISXIND001 Work effectively in sport, fitness and recreation environments
- SISXCCS001 Provide quality service
- SISXFAC001 Maintain equipment for activities
- SISFFIT001 Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- SISFFIT005 Provide healthy eating information
- SISFFIT004 Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
- SISFFIT003 Instruct fitness programs
- SISFFIT002 Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
- SISFFIT014 Instruct exercise to older clients