SELC’s new Academic English Program (AEP) is designed for students interested in studying at university or college. This course is designed to help students develop the language and study skills necessary for enrolment in an English-speaking environment at university, college or TAFE.
3 levels from intermediate to advanced, from IELTS 4.5 up to 7.0 +
- A comprehensive academic English course catering for IELTS preparation and all students who want English for further study
- New study times: Our curriculum has been streamlined down to 4 week terms for student convenience (each AEP /IELTS level has 3 x modules of 4 weeks = 24 hours per week)
- New timetable: classes in the morning, and new self study tutorials in the afternoon for personalised study support
- Entry point every four weeks. (AEP students may need to do a minimum of 10-weeks study in AEP depending on their study plan.)
Highly integrated course
All academic English needs are met in this new, more accessible course for students who need IELTS preparation, university preparation, direct entry to over 45 colleges or universities or simply a well-structured, serious English course.
- Academic reading and writing
- Vocabulary extension
- Text analysis
- Report and essay writing
- Study skills and strategies
- Listening and note-taking skills
- Grammar for study of academic materials
- Research project work
- Seminar/ presentation delivery
- IELTS test preparation skills
Improved study times:
We now offer 4-week terms. We have 3 modules per level (E.g. AEP 2A, 2B and 2C are all 4 weeks) Each module offers over 20 hours face-to- face classroom teaching and four hours of self and assisted-study tutorials every week. We have designed new, alternative AEP 1 modules for students with high IELTS requirements, enabling us to take students right up to the level of IELTS 7.0 and beyond.
New Timetable with Tailored tutorials:
|Monday to Thursday||Friday|
|8:30– 10:00 (1.5 hours)||Lesson 1|
|10:00 – 10:30||BREAK|
|10:30 – 12:00 (1.5 hours)||Lesson 2|
|12:00 – 12:45||Lunch|
|12:45 – 2:00 (1.25 hours)||Lesson 3|
|2:15 – 3:15 (1 hour)||Tutorial|
One-hour tutorials are scheduled after lesson 3, Monday – Thursday. During this self-study hour, students will have access to SELC’s library and multi-media materials, which include listening kits and study software, and will have full use of SELC’s computer rooms, which have wide WiFi coverage. It is
an ideal time to work on practice tests, plan assignments, improve grammar or discuss individual needs with your teacher. Specific AEP tutorials may be organised throughout the term to focus on specific academic skills. This will be done at the teacher’s discretion.
Easy entry points with start dates every 4 weeks
We have designed our curriculum so students can enter every four weeks, this will allow students to meet all the assessment requirements of each term. We have also ensured that studying an entire 12-week module gives a comprehensive study experience of academic English, meeting the needs of today’s ELTS and further study students.
|SELC Levels||Entry IELTS||SELC Exit Marks||Exit IELTS|
(12 to 24 weeks*)
|IELTS 5.5 (with min 5.5 in reading/writing)||70 – 85||6.0 – 7.0|
|IELTS 5.0 (with min 5.0 in reading/writing)||60||5.5|
|IELTS 4.5 (with min 4.5 in reading/writing)||55||5.0|
*Students who wish to enter courses requiring IELTS 6.5 or above may need more than 10 weeks in AEP 1
SELC has direct entry agreements with over 40 universities and colleges throughout Australia. Students can make an appointment with our Academic Counsellor to discuss their future study plans.