What is a Carer?

Students under 18 years of age, and not living with their parents, need a carer or guardianship to take responsibility for their welfare while they are in Australia. Students should live with their carer and that person is responsible for the student while they in Australia.

Who needs a Carer?

All students under 18 years of age who are living in Australia without their parents should live with a guardian. The guardian is appointed by either the family or the school.

If arranged by the school, students will receive a signed statement (CAAW) from the school confirming that appropriate arrangements have been made for their accommodation, support and general welfare during their stay in Australia.

Who can be a Carer?

A carer is either:

* a close family member living in Australia and appointed by the family (must be at least 21 years of age and have police clearance)
a homestay family screened by the school

What is a family member?
Only the following family members can legally be appointed as a carer:
Brother, sister, step-parent, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew, step-grandparent, step-aunt, step-uncle, step-niece or step-nephew.

How are carers appointed?
Families wishing to appoint a close relative as a carer must fill out and sign a Carer form (available from SELC). Completion of this form does not automatically lead to issue of a CAAW form from SELC.

SELC arranges guardianship homestay with specially selected families close to the school.

What is a SELC guardianship homestay?

The SELC Accommodation Department carefully screens all potential homestay providers before placing any students with them.
Families are visited by SELC staff and interviewed. They should fulfil the following criteria:

* live close to the school
* have appropriate accommodation available
* provide a suitable living environment
* demonstrate a willingness to host international students in their home

Students are asked to complete a feedback questionnaire about their homestay. The Accommodation Department staff are available for student counselling and for assisting with any problems between homestay families and students.

Carer homestays must also undergo a police check before any students under the age of 18 can be placed with them.

Carer responsibilities

* Provide appropriate accommodation and support at all times.
* Provide an immediate point of contact for the school.
* Ensure the student complies with visa regulations.
* Ensure the student attends school.
* Liaise with school concerning conduct and any other issues.
* Notify school in writing of any changes to living arrangements.
* Assist the student to seek any medical attention and obtain doctors certificates.
* Promptly inform the school about any absence.
* Contact parents and school about any serious illness or accident.
* Sign homework diaries and school forms for camps and excursions.