Our accommodation department can arrange quality accommodation to suit your needs.
SELC’s Homestay Program involves Canadian families in East Vancouver, North Vancouver and Burnaby. Families are chosen for their high-quality accommodation, friendliness, and interest in people from other cultures. Homestay is a wonderful way to experience Canadian life while studying English!
- Single Full Board: private room + 3 meals per day
- Single Half Board: private room + 2 meals per day
- Sharing full Board*: shared room + 3 meals per day
- Sharing Half Board*: shared room + 2 meals per day
*Shared rooms are only available for couples traveling together.
- We also offer the Airport Pickup service!
Homestay accommodation gives a wonderful opportunity to learn and practise English.
Your stay will be a most enjoyable experience if you follow the simple rules below.
- Go home before the usual dinner time of your family. It is important to tell your host when you know that you will not be home for dinner.
- Ask if you can help with dinner.
- Ask permission to use the washing machine, phone, T.V., etc.
- Pay your homestay host for all phone calls. Limit phone calls to 5 minutes.
- Please clean your own bedroom. Ask your host how to do this.
- Wash your own clothes and do your own ironing. Buy your own washing powder.
- Do not use the bathroom for more than 10 – 15 minutes.
- Clean the bathroom after you use it.
- Clean the kitchen after you use it.
- Use your own toiletries (e.g. toothpaste, soap).
- Ask permission before you invite friends to your home.
- Try to speak as much English as possible.
- Say “Hello” and “Good-bye”, “Please” and “Thank you” to your homestay host.
- Your friends should not stay late at night.
Homestay is NOT a hotel! Your homestay host is not a servant but rather a person who is offering you a bedroom and facilities in his / her home and wishes to find out more about you and your country. Try to become part of the home by joining in the life of the host family and offering to help where possible. You are not expected to do housework, but we ask you to behave like a member of the family. Be helpful, considerate and pleasant at all times.
SELC homestay is available only while you are a student at SELC.
In British Columbia, if you are under 19 years of age you are considered a minor and must apply for custodianship. You must return to your Homestay no later than 10:00pm every day. Always tell your homestay host where you are going and give a telephone contact number and address whenever possible.
|Price per week||Per month||Per week||Per night|
|Single Full Board|
private room + 3 meals per day
|Single Half Board|
private room + 2 meals per day
|Sharing Full Board*|
shared room + 3 meals per day
|Sharing Half Board*|
shared room + 2 meals per day
*Shared rooms are only available for couples travelling together. Prices are per person.
- Homestay fees cover:
- one host family placement;
- proper recruitment and screening of host families;
- a clean, comfortable and safe homestay environment, with a private bedroom that includes a bed, desk with adequate lighting for studying, a place to store clothing, and some closet space. Host families are required to be proficient in English and speak English at home. Alternative arrangements can be made upon request and at additional cost.
- A detailed host family information profile;
- On-going support throughout the period of homestay
- A student wishing to be moved to a new host family must base the request on a clear indication that the old host family is not meeting the homestay provider standards. If this is the case, a new family will be found at no additional charge; otherwise, an additional placement fee will be changed.
- Placement fees:
- Placement fee is non-refundable. The only exception is if the Visa is denied. Written proof must be provided from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate, which indicates that the visa application has been denied or the visa issuance postponed.
- Homestay fees:
- 100% refunded if cancellation is received in writing more than 14 days prior to the session start date
- 100% refunded is visa denied. Written proof must be provided from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate, which indicates that the visa application has been denied or the visa issuance postponed.
- 75% refunded if cancellation is received in writing 14 days or less prior to session start date.
- Airport transfer fees:
- 100% refunded if cancellation is received in writing more than 14 days prior to the session start date.
- 100% refunded if visa denied. Written proof must be provided from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate, which indicates that the visa application has been denied or the visa issuance postponed.
- Non-refundable if cancellation is received in writing 14 days or less prior to session start date.